BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! For One Performance ONLY!On Saturday, August 25th, 2018, SATORI CIRCUS will present almost 30 years of original music with a new twist-by performing them with a choir! SATORI CIRCUS, accompanied by a slew of Detroit and Port Huron friends, will reinterpret original tunes as new arrangements via A Cappella and perform them live at the historical site of St. Albertus Church, one of the city's oldest buildings at 146 years old! Selections will come from performance art pieces such as “EQUILBRIUM”, “MOSES:39”, “Child-Proof”, “Funy As Hell”, “63mins” and “poems we tell ourselves”.
A thought had occurred a few years back for S.C. while reading an article about the Judson Church in New York City, which lead to reminiscing about the mid to late 80’s in Detroit, when S.C. was a young performance artist, and venues such as abandoned buildings, galleries, lofts and sometimes churches were used for performance. Whether it be dance, music ensembles or other alternative performance, these spaces were a great breeding ground for difference, self-challenges and stretching the imagination.
So with a wild thought at the forefront of his mind, S.C. started reaching out to churches that possibly would allow something wild and organic, and possibly on the verge of chaos to be performed within its walls. So the networking began. And from word of mouth, to friend to friend to acquaintance, S.C. was introduced to Matt Baka of St. Albertus Parrish, who opened the doors to the church and galvanized the concept of S.C. and friends singing songs from years past…and giving them new life with a new audience.
St. Albertus Church is the Mother Church of all Polish parishes in the Archdiocese of Detroit. The parish was founded in 1872 and was the spiritual home to many Polish immigrants in the late 1800s and early 1900s. St. Albertus Church, erected in 1884, still stands proudly at the corner of St. Aubin and Canfield as an icon of Detroit's Polonia. The iconography of the church is spectacular and is often compared to the finest Churches of Europe. The church was declared State of Michigan Historic Site and placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. The parish was officially closed in 1990 after 118 years as an active parish. A group of former parishioners and historians formed the Polish American Historic Site Association (PAHSA), a 501-C (3) non-profit group, to care for the Church and adjoining properties as a historic site and museum of cultural history.
August 25th, 2018 at St. Albertus Church
4231 St Aubin St, Detroit, MI 48207 / 313.831.9727 / http://www.stalbertusdetroit.
ONLY one performance – Doors @ 8PM – Performance Promptly at 8:30P
Suggested donation of $15 at the door
Be prepared for the unknown and come with an open heart and head to witness a hybrid of performance art rarely seen in this Detroit Metro Area. We guarantee that you have never seen anything like this and you may never again. Sometimes, journeys end where they begin and begin where they end.