Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



5/27/09

Some free music from YACHT and Kate Earl

Introducing Kate Earl EP
Coming June 9th
Kate Earl.. you may or may not have heard of her but she is putting out an EP on the 9th of June on Universal Motown. She is a very thoughtful and hardworking artist located in LA, by the way of Alaska. Some draw comparisons to Lily Allen but she likes to lean towards artists such as Cat Power, and Feist.
Her single "Melody" is available for streaming and her entire EP can be heard at KateEarl.com.She has loads of video blogs that she titles "Life Of Kate" where you can get to know more about this adoarable Filipino Alaskian.
Also check out this live, stripped down video of her single "Melody."

Melody (live acoustic) from Kate Earl on Vimeo.

And now a few words from Kate Earl herself...
"I have so many hours of dreaming logged in at my parents gas station in Chugiak, Alaska. Ring up a customer- dream, stock the shelves-dream, mop the floors- dream, plow the snow-dream… I had spent my whole life in this remote town asking the question “what am i gonna do with myself if i stay here?” so as soon as I had saved enough for a ticket and a guitar I moved to LA.I needed to find out… my Dutch/Welsh father dropped out of 6th grade to survive the Great Depression by picking cotton for bowls of beans until he lied about his age to serve during the Korean War to support his parents… he was a self made man…he built our gas station with his own hands…he taught me to follow my bliss… my Filipino mother who left her parents to board in another town and walked miles in the rain with a banana leaf for an umbrella to go to school, having sewed her own uniform and cooked her meals on a little fire as a child, believed in the american dream and made a new life in alaska with greater possibilities for her children…she taught me that wit, intuition, resolve and improvisation can go a long way…the rest is left to fate or luck or the combustion of our individual spark.With common sense, hard work and manual labor my upbringing at the gas station, pursuing music was a luxury, it was not hard for me to save a lump of change and go to the city…did the Hollywood thing hittin the streets with the demo I made at my friends house…at the time those were the only songs i had written…I mean I had played piano and sang in church since I was yay high but I was going by the seat of my pants, figuring out my sound as I wrote…since Fate Is The Hunter I have been developing my sound under the guidance of Tommy Mottola…I’m in good hands, after all he is “the architect of dreams”.

www.kateearl.com

Avant-pop duo, Jona Bechtolt and Claire L. Evans, will release their new album, See Mystery Lights, July 28th on DFA Records. Pitchfork premiered “Psychic City" yesterday, offering fans an early taste of what YACHT has in store.

You can now download the “Psychic City” MP3