Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/5/12

Upcoming: Dance Film Series: Gene Kelly at the Opera House


Disclaimer: Somewhere inside of me lives an 80-year old lady who adores old movie musicals and has an enormous, fan-crazy crush on Gene Kelly. He pulls out that million-watt smile that oozes charm, and I melt.

Which makes me even more delighted to know that as part of their Dance Film Series (side note: seriously, that smile in the picture at the previous link? Tell me that smile doesn't just evoke the definition of ubridled charm), the Detroit Opera House will be presenting a special evening with Kerry Kelly Novick, Gene Kelly's daughter. It will be a unique opportunity to see film selections and hear stories about her iconic father, and her experiences at home and on set when some of his greatest films and dance sequences were being created. I have a mental short-list of ones I would LOVE to hear her talk about, least of all would be, without question, the most amazing dance scene you will ever see on roller skates, from 'It's Always Fair Weather' (I disqualify any dance roller skating scenes from 'Xanadu' from being included in that category, by the way).

Cost is $10 at the door at the Opera House, Thursday February 9th, at 7pm. I don't know about you, but this crazy Gene Kelly fan will be there.

Visit MHS