Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



4/14/10

REVIEW: Merle Haggard 'I Am What I Am' by LAWRENCEcreative

 


For a limited time only, NPR.org is letting everyone listen to Merle Haggards new CD release, 'I Am What I Am'.  Set for an April 20th release, be sure to take a listen for yourself.

I am a huge fan of his, simply because his voice is amazingly simple and honest, and this type of music reminds me of my long-deceased Dad.  Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, George Jones, Johnny Cash, etc... they epitomize the Classic Country/Outlaw era of music.  Take a listen to this new album and you will hear 73 years worth of living, fighting, drinkin' and performing.  His voice is classic Haggard, but these recordings show a gentler side, a side unable to hit all the notes with perfection.  But because of this, to me, its more honest than anything he has done in the past.

Make sure to listen to the lyrics for 'Bad Actor', and see if you agree that it is reminiscent of Jimmy Buffet.  Plus, its almost creepy that during certain portions of these songs, I swear to God I can hear Cash, Twitty and Strait's voices, as if they have all influenced one another, even in their voices.

Definately a purchase on the 20th.  I might even try to find this on vinyl.