OUTDOOR ART FAIR RETURNS TO DETROIT
Applications Available for the new Palmer Park Art Fair
As Detroit's revitalization continues to develop momentum, propelled by small businesses and artists among others, one big hole has been a high quality art fair. Integrity Shows and People for Palmer Park believe "a great city deserves a great art fair" and so they are creating one this spring.
"Palmer Park is the perfect place to host the new show," said Rochelle Lento, president of People for Palmer Park, noting that other events there from Log Cabin Day to the WinterFest already are growing and thriving.
The Palmer Park Art Fair includes juried artists spread around beautiful Lake Francis. Senator and Mrs. Palmer's 1880's summer log cabin is adjacent to the site. The event will feature many artists who are already well known in Detroit and some from around the country. Detroit artists (put in alphabetical order) Michelle Sapp, Slaw, Hubert Massey, Donald Calloway and others serve as the artists committee, to assure the quality of this project.
The original Palmer Park Art Fair was a popular event in the seventies and eighties. This is just one of many art events in Detroit that have disappeared, including the Detroit Festival of the Arts and the Greektown Art Fair. Mark Loeb, president of Integrity Shows, has worked with Detroit-area arts and business groups for more than 30 years. He noted that until this event, Detroit no longer hosts any other large-scale outdoor art fairs.
"The timing has never been better," said Loeb. The venue also is perfect, with its proximity to affluent, historic Detroit neighborhoods such as Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest and the University District, as well as easy-access from other Detroit and suburban communities.
Palmer Park is located along Woodward between Six and Seven Mile roads, and was called "Detroit's other jewel" by Hour Magazine in April 2013.
Artists are invited to apply to show and sell their work (all mediums are acceptable) by the March 30th deadline via the event website PalmerParkArtFair.com
What Makes This Show Different:
1. Only large outdoor art fair in Detroit.
2. Highlights advantages of living and working in Detroit, with views to beautiful, newly renovated historic buildings in the Palmer Park Apartment District just south and across from the Park.
3. Showcases start-up food businesses from Food Lab.
4. Students, emerging artists, art fair veterans and those new to the fair scene are all included.
5. Palmer Park presents its summer of healthy living learn about yoga, t'ai chi, biking, tennis, softball and other programs at the park.
6. The public is invited to commit in advance to purchasing artwork with substantial benefits for those that do.
Palmer Park information is available through PeopleforPalmerPark.org or by contacting
Barbara Barefield Barbara@peopleforpalmerpark.org 313-574-6847
Event details are shown at PalmerParkArtFair.com. Information is available from
Mark Loeb Mark@integrityshows.com 313 486 2666