Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



6/10/09

Paul Hitz On Detroit

paulhitzmcb

FUCK !

There, now that that's out of the way please allow myself to introduce myself. I'm Paul. A contributor to this fine (anti)blog for over a year with photo sets from all the crazy places we go as well as some writeups and reviews here and there. Welcome to the first installment of my weekly bloggings.

Ever since I started to contribute to MCB my life has changed. I've seen people and places in Detroit that most don't. Which is why I take my camera everywhere I go, to experience it and share it with you. Assignments for MCB lead me from the DIA to downriver and back. But its not about finding the most outrageous event to cover (but its fun) its about finding the most interesting, creative, original, unique places and events to share. Detroit has so much to offer and even though the local rags will put the same names and faces up for you to easily hop on their bandwagon, MCB throws nothing but curve balls to keep you on your toes, we do the dirty work and serve it up to you.

With all that crap being said, Detroit is still very much a city of contrast and diversity, I love it. Last week I stopped in at one of the most exclusive parties of the year at BravoBravo! The Detroit Opera House was decked out in a 20's theme and everyone was dressed to impress. Bright and early the next morning I was exploring an abandoned cement factory on Detroit's south side. Why? because its Detroit, industry represents us and lest we forget it, its all going away. But now you can see part of it without getting your shoes dirty. There is beauty in everything (mostly).
Earlier in the week I made my way down to the Whitney, I wanted to check out the latest setup for the Ghost Bar and then see what was shakin at their Garden Party. Well, the Ghost Bar is closed for the Summer but they let me up there to check it out. Still very swanky but with TV's and low rider couches, pretty hip Whitney. Outside in the Garden 89x had their first Garden Party of the Summer, and I swear it was even if the Whitney's blog says tomorrow is the first one, check it out. While I can appreciate the time and talent it takes to get up on stage and perform, I wanted to jab myself with a pencil, I needed something rowdier, something crass, raw, uninhibited, the opposite of our friends at the Whitney.
So I grabbed my side kick Pete and we hit the road again but this time it was just side streets, Grand to Trumbull to some neighborhood street to Nancy Whiskey. An old school neighborhood bar is just what we needed. The music was already blaring as the locals danced their asses off all day long. Nancy's is known for being Irish and hosting some of the best Blues bands in Detroit. They drink beer out of a can and smile when you order shots of Bushmills. Don't sleep on this place.


So what's the point of all this? To illustrate how much Detroit has to offer and that this is the tip of the tip of the iceberg. MCB gets after it all the time to show you whats out there every day. Go somewhere and check it out, if you dont like it, hit up another place, go to Belle Isle, go to a Museum (did you know there is a 10 acre park in Downtown Detroit's Eastside?) Go somewhere you've never been, somewhere you've never heard of, triple dog dare ya.



Tune in next week for Paul's second installment, Social Responsibility and Volunteering in Detroit, give something back you greedy suburbanites.

"MCB IS DETROIT"
Check out more MCB-VIDEOs here