Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/6/12

TALL KIWI CHICK interviews THE BLACK SEEDS

TALL KIWI CHICK was a winner in one of our contests for free tickets
and of course we chatted it up a bit and met up with her and her crew at the show.
After knocking back a few cold ones we were fast friends and thick as thieves.
Anyway - we thought it would nice to get some insight about good ol dietroit
from someone with a bit different perspective so we created this column

After a year or so living in the states and running the streets for MCB
the gals from DOWNUNDER DETROIT reluctantly had to return to Christchurch NZ
but they have been reporting no various things KIWI from time to time
and will be visiting the motorcity again in November 

She loves music, men & drinking
"She's Sweet As!"
DOWNUNDER DETROIT
BY Tall Kiwi Chick
photos/sidekick coolness by Lauretta West


THE BLACK SEEDS INTERVIEWED
by Tall Kiwi Chick  

The Black Seeds
So a while back, I scored the opportunity to interview The Black Seeds!!
I turned up at the gig super early with my awesome side-kick to interview the band well before the gig. Unfortunately for me, the band had left the venue due to the fact that the gig was in a Marquee tent, and it was freezing outside, and they apparently left to warm up somewhere. Now, I took this in good stride, but I’d like to blame the band for me getting more than a little drunk that night. My reasoning behind the blame is because I didn’t end up having a face-to-face interview with them, I started drinking earlier than planned….
I also had a co-workers going away party on that night, so I headed there early to get my drink on. Many Beers & Shots later, I headed back to the gig, just in time for The Black Seeds to start. It was an awesome show, the crowd was into it, and I had a happy buzz going on. 
Afterwards when I returned to the bar. More drinks. Bouncers annoyed at me. Playfully punching my co-workers, and a big hole in my memory but I’m 95% sure I didn’t end up with my face down a toilet, so I'll take it as a win. 
Since I couldn’t get a face-to-face interview, I managed to score an email interview with Barnaby Weir, which is below for your reading pleasure, plus some photos from the show.  Check it out, and check THEM out. The Black Seeds are a great band, that I’m proud to call Kiwi!!

PS How did I miss that the Saxophonist is HOT?! Damn those drinks…
XXX

You've just gotten back from touring in USA/Europe, how was it?
Well..... It was an epic mission to say the least. We played heaps of shows back to back from L.A to N.Y, Canada and then a good stint in France and Germany and shows in Amsterdam, London, Edinburgh and Switzerland too. The crowds were really good and we met some fantastic people along the way too.
Gotta say I love the European hospitality and this time kept the cheese intake lower!
No major dramas really. we just worked our little kiwi asses off and got a good response all round.
Some of my fav gigs were N.Y, Berlin, London and Amsterdam

It's been a long time since Solid Ground was released, what's been going on?
I guess it's like when you are waiting for your bus to arrive and it feels like ages...well we are already on that bus and doing all kinds of stuff like....We toured a lot in 08', 09' 10',less in 11' put a lot in to our new album and gave it the time it needed. Most of the band had family duties too and we also released our 'Live Vol 1' album and the 'Specials' Solid Ground Remix album. Tour highlights included Europe,US,  Australia, NZ and New Caledonia.Everyone in the band also worked on their solo music or other bands to like 'Fly My Pretties' released 2 albums and did some touring and I released a solo album too. 

How would you describe your new album?
Quality sounds from a band that's been around the block but still has a huge drive toward freshness in their music.

What is your favorite track on the new album & why?
'Don't Turn Around' because it was very spontaneous the way it came together and because we had a lot of fun making it. 

The Black Seeds have been around a LONG TIME!! What advice can you give to new bands starting out?
Keep working at your band! Write as much as possible. Make it sustainable and not stressful. Make your show unforgettable, Persist.

Quickfire questions - (These really aren't meant for email interviews, as it's really supposed to quick answers without thought) OK
What comes to mind when I say 'Detroit'? "I need a Dollar, Dollar, Dollar...." 
What are you most addicted to right now? Tobacco, Brenton Wood the Soul artist.
Which actor would you like to play you in a movie? Dennis Hopper
Do you ever get wasted before a show? No, not for ages.
Tell me about your most craziest fan moment? ummm nothing you havn't heard before..
Who is the ladies man of the band? Everyone thinks it's them but no one actually is.
THANK YOU!!!
BARNABY WEIR