Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/5/08

Wild at Heart - Tuesday August 5th 2008

Here is today's blog - Bill
Bill Kettelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart

I am still recovering from my busy weekend so pardon myself for turning in my weekly Monday blog on Tuesday.

I had a great musical weekend, starting off with Neil Diamond on Thursday who is proving that he is a great crowd pleasing entertainer. He played a few songs off his new album (Home Before Dark) which is his first #1 album which is amazing considering his career of 37 hit songs since 1966. I was excited to hear some of my favorite songs (Cherry Cherry, I Thank the Lord for the Night Time, Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, Kentucky Woman) and the fact that he didn’t play some of my least favorite songs (sorry Heartlight). It is also nice seeing that most of his band has been with him since the 70’s.

I changed gears on Friday for the H2O/Rancid show which rocked Clutch Cargos. Local punk band the Red Shift started the night off in fine form. I spent most of the night talking to some punk fans from Cleveland who drove all the way here to see the show and they were telling me that the punk scene in Cleveland sucks nowadays and they end up going to places like Chicago or Buffalo to see any of the cool punk bands (makes me learn to appreciate the scene here a little more).

I went to a couple of oldies show after that with Hippifest and the Golden Boys. I mainly went to Hippifest to see Badfinger (which only played their 4 hits before leaving the stage) and legendary Cream guitarist Jack Bruce (who actually put on a wonderful set of Cream favorites like I Feel Free). It is a fun show to people watch and wonder which people are dressing up and which ones really still dress that way. The Golden Boys was a show to see three legendary performers before they pass away. I still don’t get the appeal of Fabian, but Frankie Avalon put on an enjoyable set (even playing his song from the musical Grease). It was Bobby Rydell who really tore things up. Rydell is a performer who put up a number of hit songs like “Volare” and “Forget Him” (19 in all) and still has the vocal ability to pull it off. The guys also have a great banter between them which just makes one nostalgic.

Last night I went to see We Are Scientists who are wonderful guys. I got a very scattered interview in their normal, not sure what we can serious, style. That interview will air on WXOU 88.3FM (live streaming on http://www.wxou.org/) on Thursday morning between 8-10AM.

Before the show, I was wishing a had a video camera because I could of got some cool youtube worthy video of a couple of Detroit bums fighting. The cops showed up and broke it up. However, after they left they went at it again. At one point one of them went into a store. The other one followed and immediately got thrown out about five feet. It was better than an episode of cops!

This week I am looking forward to Rod Stewart/Bryan Adams at Pine Knob (I just can’t say DTE) and Idina Menzel at the GEM on Thursday (theatre star who played the wicked witch in Wicked).

The Concours d’Elegance went over well on Sunday. The weather held up well and I met a lot of nice people. As soon as I figure out how to download the pictures from my new digital camera to the computer, I will put some of them up on this blog site and my homepage, www.myspace.com/wildatheart_13

The show this year had a ton of unbelievable cars of which I really enjoyed the Mitchell concept cars, the Aerocar and a gorgeous yellow Duesenberg racing car. Fingers crossed that the pictures came out OK.EXTREME and KING’s X @ Emerald Theatre on Aug 8th.

If you would like to win a pair of tickets to go see this show on Friday, send me an email to doramu13@yahoo.com with the header EXTREME and you could get lucky.

The first email before midnight on Wednesday will get a pair of tickets to the show. Extreme was rock band from the late 80’s that had a #1 hit in 1991 with the ballad “More Than Words”. Heck the show is worth it for the opportunity to see a great indie hard rock band like King’s X.
I’ll be waiting.

Hopefully, next week I’ll be back on track and have a good weekend.