Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



12/27/10

Wild At Heart

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart


Here it is! It is the first day after Christmas weekend and I have nothing to really talk about. Only got a few things from Santa this year but they were really cool. I got four Marvin The Martian figures (2 bobble heads, 1 salt & pepper shaker and 1 snow globe) along with some Hallmark ornaments of Space Ghost and Johnny Quest. It was also fun spending the holiday with my parents here in NY. I was a bit surprised that the PBS stations and major networks don’t carry a bit more holiday material on Christmas. I had to find a Canadian station to get some later day Xmas cheer on TV. I know the majority of stations carry stuff during the weeks leading up, but that is the day I’m stuck home looking for something to actually watch after the Disney Parade. Without cable, I didn’t even have football to watch and I have a hard time watching NBA basketball anymore.

I would like to congratulate the Detroit Lions for winning their third straight game in a row with victories over Green Bay (finally, even though Aaron’s getting hurt helped), Tampa Bay and Miami (bring their road loss record to an end). I wish they would play more of their games in my area but I’m always looking for their scores. Before I lived in Detroit for 5 years, I never even cared about the Lions but now I am rooting for them and wishing a pox on Matt Millen. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a successful draft this year and made the playoffs sometime in the next 2-3 years.

Back in high school, I remember the song “Lovergirl” by Teena Marie on the radio quite a bit and liking this soul/R&B singing white girl who started her career with Motown before being brought to the forefront by Rick James. She passed away yesterday after finally making a bit of a comeback on the Vegas Strip. For trivia buffs, she had an acting role on “The Beverly Hillbillies” when she was a child (credited as Tina Marie Brockert). She is often overlooked, but she had a nice sound that should be recognized more.



If you are looking for something else to do this weekend and like to take in some music, here are a few recommended options:

Tuesday (12/28) – Mustard Plug @ Magic Stick, Jeff Daniels @ Purple Rose Theatre, Benny & the Jets @ Wayne Road Pub (Westland)

Wednesday (12/29) - Jeff Daniels @ Purple Rose Theatre

Thursday (12/30) – Electric Six w/Millions Of Brazillions @ St Andrews, Trans-Siberian Orchestra @ Palace Of Auburn Hills, Jeff Daniels @ Purple Rose Theatre, Secret Twins w/Kommie Kilpatrick @ PJ’s Lager House, Mittenfest V Day 1 w/Sights and Satin Peaches @ Woodruff’s (Ypsilanti)

Friday (12/31) – Pistol Day Parade @ the Ritz (Warren), Romantics and Gin Blossoms @ Downtown (Royal Oak), NYE Bash featuring Silverghost, Lightning Love, Oscillating Fan Club and 7 others @ Magic Stick, Sax Maniacs @ Rusty Nail (Clinton TWP), Lee Marvin Computer Arm @ PJ’s Lager House, Mittenfest V Day 2 w/Frontier Ruckus and Prussia @ Woodruff’s (Ypsilanti)

Saturday (1/01) – Maroon 5 @ Caesar’s Windsor, Fireworks @ the Shelter, Mittenfest V Day 3 w/Silverghost and Secret Twins @ Woodruff’s (Ypsilanti)

Sunday (1/02) - Mittenfest V day 4 w/Lightning Love, Misty Lynn & the Big Beautiful and Scarlet Oaks @ Woodruff’s (Ypsilanti)

Well, I hope you have a safe New Years Eve! Please drink responsibly and see you in the new year