Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



9/9/12

Show Review: Metric at The Fillmore, Detroit, Sept. 8

Emily Haines of Metric
Metric's a band I have been following since their early, first single "Combat Baby." Unfortunately, my chances to see them have always eluded me until last night when I caught them at the Fillmore. Judging from the packed place of excited fans, I think the same could be said for many at the show, all filled with a frenzied anticipation for Metric who with their latest release "Synthetica" is experiencing some well deserved attention.

They didn't let the ardent crowd down either as they took the stage with "Artificial Nocturne" and it's memorable opening line, "I'm just as fucked up as they say..." Their set pulled mostly from "Synthetica," including the crowd mover "Youth Without Youth." Emily Haines, the lead singer, was in fine form as she stormed around the stage and played synthesizers. Their sound was more guitar heavy than in studio with some great little solos from James Shaw. They extended a couple of songs like "I Fought the War" and "Gold Guns Girls" which received ample participation from the crowd singing along. My only disappointment of the night was that they didn't include "Black Sheep" from the "Scott Pilgrim Saves the World" soundtrack as it's my favorite Metric song.  
James Shaw of Metric
Altogether it was a tight set with not much of a pause between songs. I think Emily said "Hey Detroit" once and saved most her talking for the intimate closer "Gimme Sympathy". She took time to explain why she loves Detroit and what the city means to her. It was a nice moment to end an incredible night.
See all my pics from the show at my flickr page.

Here a slide show of some of the fans at the show, (click on it to get to the pics)


This Post by Mikel O.D. of