Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/22/10

Anthony Retka / Justin Petrusak @ Anton Art Center - Feb. 20th, 2010



By Krazy K
Motor City Blogger

I've been to Mt. Clemens many times. It kind of reminds me of Pontiac, but with more life and friendlier police(trust me).

There's a building in Mt. Clemens called the Anton Art Center which is right behind the more popular Emerald Theater. It's always intrigued me because of it's unique architecture, mixing what looks like an old church with a modern office building, seamlessly built together.

And on Saturday night, February 20th, I finally got to go inside. I was there for Anthony Retka's "Empire" CD release, which also starred Justin Petrusak, reading his formidable and undeniably emotional poetry.

The event was organized by SANAP (Serious Artists No Attitude Please), a fantastic artist promotion organization, led by Matthew Wisotsky.

Justin opened the night with to an already full house, standing room only, which I've never actually seen at a poetry reading. What a great sight. He is one of the most digestible poets I've heard, meaning that even the most "average" listener will be able to follow his thoughts and words. His speaking skills are also among the best I've seen, truly putting emotion into each phrase.

Anthony Retka, an acoustic singer-songwriter, was headlining the event. His new CD, titled "Empire" is sure to please anyone that can tolerate dynamic, original talent(garage rock scenesters need not apply). His seemingly simplistic guitar work is masterfully nuanced to suit a wonderfully refined voice. A silent room only furthered the respect he garners.



On a side note...I'm against RUN-ON BLOGS.

RUN-ON BLOG = Blabbing about events or things that have nothing to do with the events you're writing about. Mostly consisting of self-indulgent, useless topics that have little or no pertinence to anything worthwhile.

That concludes my Run-on Blog.