Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/22/10

PHOTOS: Patti Smith at St. Andrews Hall 02.19.10 by LAWRENCEcreative



Patti Smith at St. Andrews Hall
Detroit, MI
02.19.10

I put in the request to shoot the iconic Patti Smith for her return trip to Detroit. Having just released a new book entitled, Just Kids, about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe (photographer) and being an artist in New York City in the late Sixties and Seventies, Patti has been traveling around doing book signings and stage shows to support it.

Knowing the historical significance of her existence in terms of art, photography and music, especially with her relevance to Detroit, (having lived her for a time in St. Clair Shores and being married to Fred “Sonic” Smith of the MC5) I felt it necessary to capture her in her element. Joining her were her two children Jesse and Jackson. Jackson plays bass in Patti’s band and Jesse opened the show with her partner in what I would term an “amplified keyboard/xylophone instrumentational jam session”. Uhm, yeah. Definitely unexpected on my part.

Being one of three photogs given access to the show, we were allowed 3 songs to shoot, until, that is, the bouncers decided to come thru and vacate us after 2 songs. Having eaten a few Tough Guy sandwiches (PBR’s, that is) prior to the show next door at Sophie and Steve Francis’ cozy little bar, I voiced my dissatisfaction with this action to the rather large individual, as were the other photogs (Metro Times guy and some old guy…I’m horrible with names), and proceeded out of the pit area. As I headed out, Patti decided to stop her song, and make the following announcement the only way Patti could:

“I would like to suggest… that all the photographers… take a powder…
and just relax.”



to which all the crowd starts yelling and screaming and cheering in support of the Punk Rock Godmother. As I meagerly made my way back to the soundboard area, everyone just gave me shit cuz I had a camera. I didn’t even protest that much. Anyways, this kinda ticked me off and I was ready to go back to the bar. Well, something inside said “stay’, and I am glad I did. Aside from my bruised ego, Patty puts on one hell of a damn good show, filled with power, passion and protest. Here’s a breakdown of the rest of the nights performance:

'All the People Who Died' -Jim Carol tribute

Ran into the beautiful Gwen Joy and the equally iconic
and talented Mark Arminski

Patti continued her androginous look by wearing jeans, tshirt and black blazer

Went on a diatribe about her "damn hit song", ‘Because The Night’, and how the lyrics, "…have a doubt..the ring...telephone…" refer to awaiting for Fred ‘Sonic’ Smiths phone call for a meeting back in the day.

‘Jesus Died For Someone’s Sins’ and the anthemic crowd-screaming-fist-pumping ‘G.L.O.R.I.A’...

‘People Have The Power’-antiestablishment anthem, crowd screaming lyrics.

Smokey Robinson encore, ‘Tracks of My Tears’



“Fill the streets...Detroit...you are fucking great!!!!!!”


‘Rock and Roll Nigger’ as the encore. ‘nuff said.

And she left us all with these memorable words…

"Fuck ‘em all but don't abandon your city!"




A memorable night, to say the least. Thanks, Patti, for the words of wisdom.