Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/15/10

RESTAURANT REVIEW: Honest?Johns Bar and Grill by LAWRENCEcreative

What the hell, why not? I like food. I like cooking food. Some of my favorite television is about food. I will admit to having fantasies about me and Giada de Laurentiis, a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, and perfectly sliced veal medallions, and afterwards meeting up with Anthony Bourdain for a beer or six at Honest John’s while high-fiving my accomplishments. But I digress… here is my review of:


Honest?John's Bar & Grill

488 Seldon Street . Cass Corridor . Detroit, MI 48201
(313) 832-5646
Owner: John Thompson

According to their website, Honest?John's was...wait a minute...John doesn't have a fuckin' website.  If you want some info on his place, get off your ass and drive down to the Cass Corridor.  Yes, I said Cass Corridor.  Get over it.  In case those two words intimidate you, I'll give you a little heads up on one of my all-time fave Detroit hangouts.


Here's what I had for my Valentines Day Dinner (Forgive the crappy Palm Pixi phone images):

Cajun Gumbo ($4 bowl) – knowing that I would probably get a nasty look if I asked what exactly was in the mix, my description is purely based on taste.  Chicken, Andouille sausage, Okra, green pepper, onions, rice and the perfect combination of cajun spices and sauce.



This gumbo is filled with such creamy goodness and heat that I would have no problems selling off someone elses kidney to pay for the recipe.  It should be noted that this was so thick it could technically be eaten with a fork.  The heat, subtle at first, grew increasingly warmer as I ate, but never overwhelming.  I am sure if you are a one of those that prefer the psychotic endorphin rush of habaneros or ghost chilis, this will be like eating water for you, but for us mere mortals, it is a perfect amount for a cold winters night in the D. 



Beer Battered Onion Rings (a few bucks, I forgot to write it down) - Beer batter.  Onions.  'nuff said.


I hate onion rings.  Why?  Cuz everytime I bite into one the onion comes completely out leaving me nothing but the breading.  The kitchen in John's found the perfect balance between onion size and beer batter and each bite was accompanied by the right amount of onion and breading.  Plus, simply good flavor, if not a little bit too greasy.  But dammit, greasy is good.



1/2 Pound Ground Round Sirloin ($5.95) - A half pound sirloin patty (direct from Eastern Market) on a bun with lettuce, cheddar cheeze, feta cheese and grilled onions.  Cooked Medium.  (My choice of toppings, not theirs.  You can choose from a pretty typical assortment of toppings.) 


There is a certain hierarchy of burgers in my life.  This has been discussed and debated over the years by friends and family, and everyone always has their own choices.  One cannot debate anothers choice for their 'order', but can only accept it as their choice.  Because of John's cooks abilities to cook a damn good bar burger with great ingredients, always cooked to perfection per your order, their burgers fall in my Top 5 All-time Best Burgers:

1) Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor
2) Millers Bar in Dearborn
3) Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak
4) Honest?John's Bar and Grill in Detroit
5) Any Big Boy® Double Decker in the nation

All in all, if you're looking for a perfect not-quite-hole-in-the-wall bar in the D with a fantastic jukebox (once considered the Best Jukebox in the book Jukebox America: In Search of the Country's Greatest Jukebox) and great comfort food, Honest?John's is well worth the trip to the D!  Maybe I'll see you down there...