Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/27/10

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart




Wild At Heart special Autorama edition

Just a little reminder about a cool event in town as we see one of my favorite car related happenings with Autorama down at Cobo. I went down yesterday to see what was happening and I'm reporting back to you my faithful readers. One of the models that was getting ready to pose with some of the cars pretty much summed up the show as she entered the hall with the word "Shiny". When you enter the hall, the cars you first come across are the best of the customs with their immaculate paint jobs and polished chrome that looks sterile enough to eat off.

cool truck

If you are their for entertainment, you have performances from 2 hip rockabilly bands, the Twistin' Tarantulas and Swingin' Demons who are rocking the downstairs stage. Upstairs in the "the Fonz", Henry Winkler. If you want a picture or autograph, make sure to bring $20. I just went up to shake his hand and kind of got rushed off the stage. However, if you are buying, he will take time with you. I remember when celebs would show up and not charge, still it was cool meeting the "Fonz". I remember having a Fonz costume when I was a wee lad about 100 years ago.



Among the cars, their are a few highlights you should make sure you see. Allen Park resident Bob Causey has put a multitude of hours in his garage to build his interpretation of the Batmobile, an amazing work of art with these incredible bat wings and LCD displays that just blew me away. I thought Christain Bale was going to come racing around a corner to track down some crazy villain. I predict this will get the kids choice award. Also, Detroit's own customizer supreme, Chuck Miller, is honored and has brought a number of his famously designed vehicles including the Red Baron which looks cool with it's fake machine guns on the side. He also has copies of his new book which looks back on his life and his work.

Red Baron

I also enjoyed the vintage 60's drag racers and the toy fair which had a lot of cool collectibles to browse through. If you have the time, their are a lot of beautiful cars and other events going on to make for a wonderful experience. Go to http://www.autorama.com for more information.

Tune in Monday when I review the new movie "The Crazies", the play "Young Frankenstein", talk about the Blowout, the Detroit Independent Film Festival and whatever else comes up on my radar.