Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/13/10

This Week In Moneypenny: A City of the Elite


Due to extenuating circumstances, this blog is LONG overdue.
Excuses, excuses...

Yeah, I know, I know...


A few of you may or may not have noticed I've been MIA for a while. I won't bore you with details. Sometimes life's adventures get us really high, sometimes they kick us in the pants. Every once in a while, a story unfolds that teaches us something. Whether we like it or not.

The Motorcityblog 5th anniversary party last month sets the scene for my example. All of MCB was represented and celebrated in some way, and I was honored to be part of the team. We were the Kings of the City for the night, and we partied accordingly. I floated (stumbled)
out of the Music Hall into the wee hours holding my sides,
my aching cheeks tear-stained from laughter.


I didn't think anything could wipe the smile off my face, until we stood in our empty parking spot, punched in the guts with disbelief. Out in the cold quiet of Detroit, while we drank champagne and danced under carved golden ceilings in one of the city's finest venues,
my car was stolen.


It was pretty fuckin sobering.

Shock and anger set in pretty quick. Being stolen from made me feel violated. But in the weeks that have passed since, I've struggled to nail down how I feel about it. My good friend Charlie Lumley was inspired by the incident and wrote a piece the week after it happened that really resonated with me. He makes an excellent point, and I would like to share it with you here.


Detroit – A City of the Elite


Saturday was a fantastic night in Detroit. The MCB5 event held at the Detroit Music Hall celebrating 5 years of relentless honor and devotion to the city that tries so hard to give nothing back was a smash hit. Featuring local artists and connoisseurs of the same ilk, there was a bandied theme that this group exudes, which is a message of hope and love to the arts and artists in a city that oozes hopelessness and negativity. You are sure to read about the festivities and love on display along w/ the stories of nights past and future endeavors because celebrations are invitations to the past and hopes for the future.

Although every story has two sides, I’m going for the side they aren’t talking about. The purpose of this, of us, and of our kind is to share, enjoy, and encourage our friends and strangers alike to reach new heights of their passions in hopes to turn more people onto our wave. However, an elitist society exists within the city limits. This elitist society is unchallenged by the public sector. Unchanged by privatization, and only gets stronger because it feeds off of the destruction, the misfortune and the pain of others. This society gets all of the press (crime rates, jobless, lack of education, decaying infrastructure). They blame “the man” but in reality, since they own the city, they are actually bringing their selves down (which also makes them “The Man”); And after all of their faults are exposed, they still have the balls to blame it on us! The very people who are preventing any hope that this city can move towards prosperity is your very own “Detroit Elite”, which are truly running/ruining this city that we love has once again,
sent a clear message.
Keep Out!


A dear friend and writer for the blog found herself wondering where her car went after the event last Saturday night. “For sure, I parked it here. I know we left the car here in a legal parking spot. What happened?” “The Man”, I proclaim. The elitist society, so determined to prevent something good might prosper in the city refuses to let her love it, promote the good, and help conceal the bad. After the show, about Detroit, for Detroit, and in Detroit, showed why this city is so difficult to love. Like a dear john in response to your love letter.

I’d like to be the first to say Fuck You to the thieves that stole my friends ride; you elitist sons of bitches couldn’t keep your hand in your own cookie jar for one night. It can happen anywhere, it can happen to anyone, but this person on this night; is that irony or what?

Although I’m sure she’ll write about the fun and excitement of a well deserved hard earned 5 years of service that MCB has given to the city of Detroit, and the love she still has and the devotion she’ll show is more than any of your elitist Detroit born, raised, and contributors to the urban decay that is most of the city has ever given back.
I don’ know how she does it.


There are people who believe in Their heart, that there is enough good in and around the city to push on, which when you get down to it, is the true idea we all have; in the true spirit of the blog, this city, and the people who truly love it.

So long live the MCB.


- Charlie Lumley


After they found my car stripped and totaled, it took almost a month of bullshit to replace my vehicle and everything that went with it. I will never be fully compensated for the financial and emotional burden. I will always have that worry when I venture into the city. Because of this, my carefree, loving attitude towards my badass Motor City had been tarnished. Sick with a case of unrequited love, I pouted like a baby.

But then something happened in the days that followed. Friends of all kinds spoke up to show support, kindness, stories of a similar experience and offerings of help ranging from rides around town, to the editor of this very website trying to win me a car from a contest to drive for 6 months. It was an unexpected rally of close friends, new friends, fellow contributors and one faithful, loving assistant that got me through it. I would like to thank all of you, from the thoughtful well wishers to the awesome person who got me a new car. I love you.
You are all the reason I shine.


It was easy to feel violated, pissed off and depressed about my unfair circumstance, but once you get a show of love and support like that, it's impossible to keep being a brat about it. I made the decision to fill the angry void with appreciation for how truly fortunate I am.

To answer Charlie's question, that's how I do it. And I do it alright.

So there, Detroit. Foiled your evil plans this time. But don't fuck with me...

I HAVE FRIENDS!


Long live MCB, indeed.


April 18, 2003



January 19, 2010



January 29, 2010


Cheers,
Moneypenny