Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/31/10

-jr-MusicRevue 08/31/2010

read more -jr MUSICREVUE here


When I checked my inbox this morning there was a link to a Starship cover by local band Gardens. I rolled my eyes at first (to the fact that it was a cover of Starship) and then figured why not while clicking through. It was not what I was dreading at all. Here's a soundcloud of the song:
Nothing Gon Stop Us by Gardens Detroit

I purchased their first 45 that was put out via the UFO Factory and Italy Records.

The songs on "In Novelty Land" are quite contrasted to the above Starship cover. They are more straight ahead lo-fi garage rock with a bit of a pop swagger. "Nothing Gon Stop Us" rings back to the old Genders sound and reminds me of alot of the Bam/Little Claw/Mountains & Rainbows stuff that was being churned out by the now defunct Muddy Mitten Label. The 45 is good and I'm looking forward to see what direction they take with the new EP they are getting together. If you get a chance pick up a copy of "In Novelty Land" and check Gardens Myspace for updated shows and tour information.

-jr
Twitter
Email
-jr is a musician/dj/blogger/writer from Detroit, MI. He performs in the bands The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre and Sheefy Mcfly & The Delorean. He also writes a cultural blog covering the ins and outs of the Detroit Music Scence as well as pop culture. When Dj'ing he uses the handle DJ JCM. He has been an integral part of the Detroit Music mechanation for the past 10 years. He knows just about everything about music on both a local and national level. His opinon is gold and is infallible. This is what's been in my ear lately.