Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/23/10

Wild At Heart

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart




Well, I'm officially back in Detroit until the first weekend of October. My mom is starting to feel better but changes in her medication are making her feel a bit under the weather still. I'm starting to put things in order for my move back to NY. I had always hoped my parents health would stay high and that with all the resumes I have put in over the past year and a half would lead to something more than parttime work. I have always wondered which would falter first, my savings or my parents health, and it turns out the later. As much as I would love to stay here with all the wonderful things that this area has to offer, my parents are still my number one priority which I hope you all understand. I am planning a bunch of concerts and one nice road trip up north to Mackinaw Island to see the Grand Hotel (always was a fan of the movie "Somewhere In Time") and the famous bridge I keep hearing about. Over the next month, I am planning on doing some best off type lists. Not sure how they will add up but will encompass the things I have loved about living here in the Detroit area. Still looking for ideas from my readers on restaurants to try out or things to see in the area before I move. You can send any ideas to doramu13@yahoo.com and I will look into putting them into action.

Before I went home a couple of weeks ago, I was in Ann Arbor for a Natalie Merchant show and made sure I got in town early so I could take in the updated Kelsey Museum on the campus of the University Of Michigan which is known for it's famous collections. From the outside it didn't look like much but once inside, the place was more expansive than it appears as it displays about four times as much than it's previous space. Most of the displays focus on specific past Kelsey fieldwork projects or Museum initiatives from the Universities collections as well as objects borrowed from museums around the world. Among the displays are a colorfully painted Egyptian mummy coffin, magical amulets from the ancient Near East, an array of glass vessels, Greek pottery, Roman sculptures and a unique large-scale watercolor representation of the famous Villa of the Mysteries murals from ancient Pompeii. The multi-level addition is easy to go through with plenty of informational signs along the way. If you are a fan of early civilizations, this is a very nice exhibit heads and tails above any other museum in the area. For more information, go to http://www.lsa.umich.edu/kelsey/visitorinformation.



This week starts a little slow for concerts but picks up as we hit Thursday, so here are my picks if you are looking for a good show to attend.

Thursday 8/26 = Ray LaMontagne and Serena Ryder @ Meadowbrook Theatre, Stone Temple Pilots and Cage The Elephant @ Fox Theatre

Friday 8/27 = 80's heaven with Blondie and Cheap Trick @ Pine Knob, Mighty Mighty Bosstones @ St Andrews Hall, local rock and roller Jack Scott @ Warren City Square (free show), disoc era flashback with KC and the Sunshine Band @ Motor City Casinio

Saturday 8/28 = Leon Russell @ Magic Bag, Good Old war opens for Xavier Rudd @ Royal Oak Music Theatre

Sunday 8/29 = electronic music with Stereo Total @ Magic Stick (the lead singer sings in 6 languages including Turkish and Japanese)

I am going home now to watch Agora which I'll try to post online tomorrow. Have a good week and look forward to some email suggestions about what to see and do in the area. Have a good week andI'll leave you with a video by Stereo Total.