Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



4/22/12

Show Review: Blood on the Dance Floor, Brokencyde, Deuce and more The Crofoot 4/18/2012


To keep my life interesting I am all for taking odd adventures and excursions to places I probably have no place setting foot in. So, it was with that spirit I made my way down for an evening visit to my favorite concert venue, The Crofoot, to take in what might be called the most “exuberantly perverse” show of the year. As an all-ages show, which by the likes of this crowd was defined by kids under 18 accompanied by shell-shocked parents over 40, the bands started playing early, I already missed 3 bands by my arrival at 7pm. I did hear from quite a few people that Bunny the Bear is a band worth checking into.
The first band I saw was Polkadot Cadaver, which were really a throwback to the aggressive hardcore bands of my youth. The lead singer sang the entire set at the front of the audience, literally shouting at their faces. I dug their energy and the guitar player that climbed the pipes above the audience would probably do well at a Hunger Games event. Near the end of their set they did a head-scratching but stellar version of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean.”
Former Hollywood Dead singer, Deuce, played next, and his set was a mixture of hip hop with rock beats and some screaming thrown in for good measure. Having interviewed Deuce a few weeks ago, he was who I came to see and his show was a real knockout punch that had the crowd fist pumping and jumping to the music. Deuce performed most the songs of his album “9 Lives” (comes out this week!) onstage with a MC, keyboard player, guitar and drummer. His performance proved he has a sound and audience of his own.
Brokencyde played next, and I want to say these guys were great because they had the coolest t-shirts on sale, but it all came across a bit too chaotic for me. Their opener was a long real minimal beat hip hop song with various members of the band running up and rapping verses. Each member had their own trademark scream but their rapping wasn’t very distinctive.  The kids in the crowd loved it as they even formed a pit at one point and did some polite moshing.

Maybe the most perplexing band for me was the headlining Blood on the Dance Floor. Their sound is a collision of synth, hip hop, metal and emo. Yes, all that at once, with really X-rated perverse themes delivered in a cartoonish way that makes it all somewhat acceptable for the PG-13 crowd.  The two main members, dress like Motley Crue crossed with anime characters and trade vocals while dancing around stage looking like their having the best time ever. They had “sud” cannons that continually covered the crowd in white foam (there’s definitely a not so well hidden meaning going on) and confetti blasters. BotDF was like an amusement park ride that flew you through some dangerous rapids, covered you in goo and left you with a beaming smile because you were strapped in and safe the entire ride.
 

You can see all the pics including some crowd shots at my flickr page for the show!

This Post by Mikel O.D. of