Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/4/10

Downunder Detroit - TALL KIWI CHICKs

DOWNUNDER DETROIT
BY Tall Kiwi Chick
photos/sidekick coolness by Lauretta West

So last week's theme seemed to be to raise money for Haiti.

Wednesday night i went to Dick O' Dow's in Birmingham, who were contributing 20% of all food & liquor sales towards the Red Cross.
So i felt it my duty to go along and drink as much as i could...
and splash out with some shots...

Then Friday night we hit up The Magic Stick, who were doing 2 nights of music with all door sales going towards Haiti. They had around 10 bands playing each night with 2 stages set up so there was hardly any waiting in between which worked out awesomely. We stayed for about 8 bands, and i was stoked with all the bands.
Now if i had to play favorites.. which i do!!
I'd have to say 'Secret Twins' were my fav.
Timmy was defining Impressive on the drums, combined with Dina's voice and style equalled Good music!! Taking full advantage of being at The Magic Stick Lauretta & I also played some pool, Lauretta kicked my ass...if you care. I don't either... Stanley, the newest MCB Photographer took a break from taking photos to come play Lauretta at pool, now i told him to 'show lauretta what you got' to distract her, but he didn't... and she won... maybe next time stanley!! I liked the playing pool whilst listening to the bands!!
I might have to make sure i frequent the Magic Stick a bit more often..

Anyway since i've been listening to some local detroit music, i thought it only fitting i should school you on some kiwi music, don't think of it as homework.. but yes, there will be a quiz...
I'm going to list a couple of songs.. check out the videos on Youtube.

Expand your music knowledge.
Impress the next kiwi you meet by firing off some artists.
You're welcome boys...



Darcy Clay - 'Jesus I was Evil' (I love this song. It doesn't get old for me. Guy died though after releasing a couple of EP's so don't bother looking for anymore from him)

Steriogram - 'White Trash' (great song to drive to!)

Shihad - 'Pacifier' (Shihad actually changed their name to Pacifier for a while there, as they were trying to break into the US market and didn't think SHIHAD would be taken very well.. But they ended up changing their name back after releasing one album as Pacifier) Head like a hole aka HLAH - 'A Crying Shame'.



Ok that is enough homework for now,

but check it out, or i'll check you out....

So I have been feeling a little bit smug lately.. it seems all my kiwi friends on facebook have been updating about what a crap summer they've been having and that it's cold.. The only thing worse than being in Detroit for a winter, is knowing that it's summer in NZ and hot and all my mates are getting tanned on the beach.

But now after having read many facebook updates from various friends complaining...
plus with knowing in the back of my head that you guys
consider this a 'mild winter thus far'
*touches lots of wood*
makes me smug!!

However, i still hate this cold,
and i'd like to punch it in the face.

So we're on a budget at the moment and looking for some fun things to do that don't cost lots of cash (so if you have any good ideas, let me know). Snookers on woodward has free pool for chicks on mondays/tuesdays, pretty sweet deal aye! So this week we went there for a few drinks so lauretta could kick my ass again at Pool, which she did, but i still don't care. Had a great time though, lots of guys and really busy which was wicked!! So we're planning on going back soon!!

Off to see Mike Stanley this friday night in Hamtramck,
hoping to pee myself!!

See you there?

And you can buy us chicks a drink?
Please?! :)
She loves music,
men & drinking
"She's Sweet As!"