Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/3/10

Restaurant Review: Cuban in the D by LAWRENCEcreative

What the hell, why not? I like food. I like cooking food. Some of my favorite television is about food. I will admit to having fantasies about me and Giada de Laurentiis, a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, and perfectly sliced veal medallions, and afterwards meeting up with Anthony Bourdain for a beer or six at Honest John’s while high-fiving my accomplishments. But I digress… here is my review of:


Vicentes Cuban Cuisine

1250 Library Street . Detroit, MI 48226 . (313) 962-8800
According to their website, Vicentes Cuban Cuisine was founded in early 2005 by Mr. Vicente Vazquez to provide an authentic Cuban experience to the metro Detroit area. Since opening day, Vicentes has provided a tangible link to the culture and cuisine of the Cuban people.


Here's what I had:

Red Sangria ($6 per glass) – bits of orange peel and apple swimming in an alcohol bath.


Dangerously good. Not too strong or sweet, but just the right amount to go along with the savory flavors of the meal.



Queso de Cabra ($7.95) - Baked goat cheese and fresh tomatoes. Served over roasted red pepper sauce.


I knew that with the first bite of this, the rest of the meal was going to be fantastic. Being a fan of the French tradition of fresh mozzarella slices on top of tomato, drizzled with garlic infused olive oil, I knew what to expect. But, with the change to goat cheese and red pepper sauce… it’s a completely different experience. The goat cheese literally melts in your mouth as the underlying slightly-acidic tomatoes and red peppers spice things up. Truth be told, I could have eaten an entire plate of this without fear of missing out on my entrée, it was that good.



Ropa Vieja (Old Clothes) ($18.95) - A Cuban tradition of thinly shredded beef, seasoned with red wine, tomato sauce, bell peppers and green olives. Served with white rice and sweet plantain.


In looking over the menu, which was simply overwhelming with options, I figured my best bet was to try the dish that translated to ‘Old Clothes’. Anyone with the guts to name a dish this either has a cruel joke in mind or a great dish. Luckily for me, it was the latter of the two. The shredded beef and seasonings, when mixed with a bit of the rice and black bean sauce, was so comforting on a cold winters night that it felt like my grandma was giving me a hug. I know, it sounds cliché, but it was true. Mix in the occasional bite of the sweet, grilled plantains and the combination of savory and sweet was perfect. The only drawback to the entrée was that there was so much shredded beef and rice that I could only bring myself to eat half the plate, and trust me, I tried to finish it. The good thing was that when I got home later in the evening and nuked the container, nothing was lost in transport.



All in all, while a little bit more expensive than my traditional meal allowance, when you have the ability to splurge once in a while, or are trying to impress that certain someone, make your way down and enjoy. The ambience is warmer than the website implies (could use better pictures of the interior…call me Mr. Vicente. I’ll trade meals for photos!) and the waitstaff was more than friendly and accommodating. If you needed a recommendation on what to order, there was NO hesitation or ego apparent. Vicentes is well worth the trip to the D!