Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



11/3/10

PHOTOS: Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, Crofoot 10/24

The weekend before last, MCB's Andrew Bender was out at the Crofoot Ballroom to photograph Grace Potter & the Nocturnals. Check out Andrew's photos from their sets below:

I love Grace Potter. LOVE HER. I often joke with my wife that if Grace asked me to join her on tour to serve as her slave boy/man servant/sex slave that I'd be gone faster than a Birther can demand Obama's birth certificate. I've been seeing Grace and the band for several years now, and I always knew she was destined for the big time. So, when I heard that she'd signed with Disney's label, and her new song 'Paris (ooh la, la)' is the theme song for an new, ABC courtroom drama series, I wasn't the least bit surprised.

So, you're probably asking yourself, 'jeez Drew, what's the big deal with this chick?' Well, besides the fact that she just oozes sex appeal and loves to play it up, she's one helluva musician to boot. The girl can sing! I've now seen her cover Jefferson Airplane's iconic psychedelic rock number 'White Rabbit' two times, and hearing her unwavering pipes as she hits those high notes is pretty impressive. But it's not just her voice. She can play. Actually, she rocks the hell out on her Hammond B3 as her funked out, blues inspired jams make it clear she's not just another pretty face for Disney to market. Recently, the band took on an additional guitar player, leaving Grace with more time behind the organ and mic. I do miss seeing the rock goddess jamming on her big, white, flying V guitar that she seems not to be playing now that Benny Yurco has taken on guitar duties.

The Crofoot is a fun venue to see a show, and although it was far from sold out, Grace & the Nocturnals delivered one hell of a performance. The crowd consisted of mostly white suburbanites, ranging from their early 20s to late middle age. Having had her 'White Rabbit' cover featured in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland movie, the Disney deal, and all the other exposure, it's no wonder that they've got such broad appeal. Unfortunately, I didn't get the invitation to join Grace on her bus that I was hoping for - not that my wife was the least bit surprised. Hey - a guy can hope, eh?



Check out her video from a recent performance at Bryant Park for the Artist's Den: