Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



11/16/10

Wild At Heart

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart


I realize I’m a day late on the blog, but it is with good reason. I decided to wait a day since they were no shows to recommend for Tuesday and I was going to Buffalo to see Experience Hendrix which will be in Detroit on Thursday at the Fox. I admit I have never been a real big Hendrix fan since I tend to favor more alternative music but there is no doubt he is one of the three best guitarist ever (right up there with bluesman Robert Johnson and jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt). Hendrix did things to an electric guitar that most other guitarists only do with groupies. Songs like “Hey Joe” and “Purple Haze” are among the many songs that make me wish I could have seen this man play live. Since I couldn’t because he passed away within a year after I was born, I relied on Experience Hendrix to be the closest thing to that.

When I got to the venue, we were informed Johnny Lang and the guys from Los Lobos were going to miss the show due to delays in their flight but that was no big deal since I saw both of them at Crossroads. The show started off with Jimi’s sister announcing the show and paying tribute to Jimi. She also introduced every time a new musician hit the stage which was really cool so we know who was playing at all times. Ernie Isley (of Isley Brothers) along with bassist Billy Cox (who played in Experience and Band Of Gypsies with Hendrix) started things off with a story about how Jimi lived in his (Ernie’s) house for two years and he spent time listening to him play instead of doing his homework. He played a couple of songs before really getting down to business with an incredible version of “Manic Depression” which he did some playing using his mouth just like Jimi in those early clips.

Next came out Living Colour who rocked the house an incredible energy and lead singer Corey Glover ended up in the upper balcony at one point. Vocally, he might not resemble Jimi but he was the most lively man on stage that night and his bandmates brought their “A game” to the show. Eric Johnson followed with some amazing playing ending with Jimi’s “Are You Experienced?” Susan Tedeshi held her own on stage with the guys showing a bit more subtlety to Jimi’s lyrics with help from Johnson on “One Rainy Wish” and with Aerosmith’s Whitford and Indigenous’s Nanji for “Spanish Castle Magic”.

Robert Randolph came on showcasing his steel guitar for “Hey Joe” and “Purple Haze”, Kenny Wayne Shepard came out for a rocking version of “Voodoo Child” and Steve Vai played smoothly on “One Rainy Wish” and everything ended with Vai, Reid, and Randolph engaged in cracking it up for “Love or Confusion’’ and “Foxy Lady’’ and then Cox, singing and playing bass, brought the show home aptly with a Jimi favorite, “Red House’’.

Every musician played about 3-4 songs from Jimi’s discography and the night was kept moving so the three hours went by way to fast. It is extremely hard to pick a best of the night since everyone held there own nicely and showed a different aspect of Hendrix’s influence. For me it was nice seeing Steve Vai (better than Jeff Beck or Jimmie Vaughn in my opinion) playing some of the best guitar I have ever seen live but everyone on stage knew there way nicely around a guitar, esp Randolph who continues to surprise me. For a man of gospel, he really knows how to throw down a cord. While the Lang and the Los Lobos guys should be playing in Detroit, I found the show exciting without them. If you haven’t bought ticket yet and if there are any left, I can’t see how any serious music fan can pass up this show.




Along with the Hendrix show, here are a few others to check out this week.

Wednesday (11/17) – techno star Richie Hawtin @ Revival Social Club (Windsor)

Thursday (11/18) – Nitzer Ebb @ Magic Stick, Experience Hendrix w/Billy Cox, Steve Vai, Living Colour, Kenny Wayne Sheperd and more @ Fox Theatre

Friday (11/19) – Coco Montoya @ Callahans, The Cult @ Fillmore, John Mellencamp @ Fox Theatre, Jane of Arc @ Pike Room

Saturday (11/20) – Bedouin Soundclash @ Shelter, Zap Toro CD release party @ Magic Bag

Monday (11/22) – Daniel Lanois’ Black Dub @ Magic Bag


Also found some old pictures I wanted to post on my blog back in 2008. I kept asking friends to help since I’m tech illiterate but finally found a way to get them on my own so here are some pictures from Meadowbrook Concours D’Elegance. There are a couple of concept cars and some real classics here. More will be posted at a later date.

the shark

flying car

white concept car

yellow classic

white and black classic

Have a great week!