Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



11/22/10

Wild At Heart

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart



This seems to be rather a slow week with not much to say. I was looking at the concert schedule and with the exception of Friday, it gets pretty sparse this time of year.

Wednesday (11/24) – techno star Richie Hawtin @ Elysium Lounge, Ty Stone and the Truth @ St Andrews Hall, Taproot @ Machine Shop (Flint)

Friday (11/26) – Irish greats Great Big Sea @ Caesar’s Windsor, Alto Reed’s Thanksgiving Celebration featuring Mitch Ryder, Jill Jack, Jeff Daniels and more @ Fillmore, Patty Larkin @ DIA, Sponge @ Token Lounge, the Gories @ Magic Stick, Citizen Smile opens for The Bends @ Vernor’s Lounge (Pontiac)

Saturday (11/27) – Jeff Daniels and Friends @ Michigan Theatre, Johnny Mathis @ Caesar’s Windsor, Silverghost @ Magic Bag, Jackyl @ Machine Shop (Flint)

Sunday (11/28) – Tinsley Ellis @ Callahans

I have been keeping tabs on the Detroit Lions since I moved back to NY. I have been rooting for them to win some games though I’m sorry about last week. I was rooting for the Cowboys since they are “my team”, though I did feel bad since Kitna was our quarterback and that’s got to hurt a bit with his history here. Good luck versus New England this week though they are looking tough. At least you will have Kid Rock for your halftime entertainment. Did you know that Kid Rock and I share the same birthday? I’ll expect a special invite to your Ford Field show Kid!!

I have also been watching “Detroit 1-8-7” which I have found somewhat lackluster with the exception of James (NYPD Blue) McDaniel. I think the overall stories are just OK and most of the characters don’t grip me in the same way as superior shows like “The Closer” does. It is nice seeing familiar Detroit settings and trying to figure out where certain episodes are shot. It was even cool seeing a guy that worked with me on the Census appearing as a cop on one episode (I think it was episode 5) and he even had one line of dialogue! I’m hoping they can get some better character development going to make the show more enjoyable. I’m just having trouble getting into most of the characters, esp Michael Imperioli who I loved on “The Sopranos” and “Life On Mars” but doesn’t seem to have the same punch in gritty Detroit.

Speaking of TV, despite having basic TV channels now, which I haven’t had since the whole HD transition, I’m really not watching that much TV with the exception of football (both college and pro) and the occasional episodes of “Smallville” and “NCIS”. I have found out about 2 years ago that local libraries are starting to really get cool TV series in their collections and for those that don’t know it, you can borrow them for free. While in Detroit, my TV borrowing extended from everything from the first 5 seasons of “House”, 8 seasons of “NCIS”, 4 seasons of “Doctor Who”, 4 seaons of “Bones”, the complete series of “Sex In The City”, “Lost”, “Adventures of Brisco County Jr”, “Pushing Daisies”, “Dollhouse”, “Tru Calling”, “Stargate: Atlantis”, “Battlestar Galactica”, animated “Justice League Unlimited”, both US and UK versions of “Life On Mars” and seasons of “Torchwood”, “Primeval”, “Sarah Connor Chronicles” and many more. At the library right now, I getting ready to check out the complete series of “The Middle Men”, the first season of the original “HG Wells’ Invisible Man” and season 2 of a wonderful spy show called “Burn Notice”. Since I have been back, I have watched season 1 and 3 of “Burn Notice” as well as the complete 1960’s “UFO” series and the first two seasons of “Charmed”. Thanks to the libraries, I have been able to watch a number of series I would have missed due to work schedules, not having cable or just old series that don’t get rerun on TV any more. I used to watch a lot of movies but with the changing landscape (and the fact I have seen a lot of older movies), I’m finding myself watching a lot more TV shows than ever before. If you haven’t checked out the local libraries in recent memory, you might just want to take a look.

Lastly, here are a couple more photos to share from the 2008 Concours. I’m really glad I found these pics.

orange truck

light blue car

real flying car

I hope everyone has a great Thansgiving! Go Lions!