Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



3/2/12

Show review: SHREK THE MUSICAL @ The Fisher Theater (currently playing)

I made by return to the stunning Fisher Theater in Detroit on Tuesday night to catch "SHREK THE MUSICAL" which is currently on a National tour and in town till March 11.
Alongside me for this show was my "6" year old niece Addison. She's a huge Shrek fan so who better to give me the kids perspective on this show.
The first thing I noticed upon my arrival to the theater was the amount of adults who did not bring along any children. I wondered if they were season ticket holders or just those who enjoy Broadway musicals regardless of the age demographic or subject.



SHREK THE MUSICAL is based on the Oscar®-winning DreamWorks film as well as the novel that started it all and features a score of 19 all-new songs.
The plot for the musical revolves around a faraway kingdom turned upside down. An unseemly ogre named Shrek shows up to rescue a feisty princess and find a home for over a dozen other fairy tale misfits. He also has to deal with a donkey who won't shut up, a villain with a "short" temper, and a Dragon.

Within the first 10 minutes I could see why so many adults could show up without young ones and be fully entertained. The show has a edge and has adult humor that I forgot was in the Dreamworks movie that I have not seen in many years. This was proven by the Isaac Hayes look a like with a Jeri Curl who was seated,by himself, behind my niece and I. The gentleman was having the time of his life and was laughing loudly and proudly throughout the musical. So how's that for a demographic?

The staging was a visual eyegasm. Top notch costume and set designs. I was always anticipating the next scene because it would bring another stunning sequence.



Lukas Poost who plays Shrek was great. I was checking out his green makeup and face moldings in great detail and I can honestly tell you that I believe he may be a orge in real life.
The very short Lord Farquaad was played by Merritt David Janes who has his real legs strapped up behind him and hidden by a black curtain, but is not afraid to make his presence known as the mastermind puppeteer.
Other great characters is that I enjoyed seeing were Pinocchio who just can't seem to stop lying and having that nose of his grow and a talking cookie with a attitude.
The 17 foot tall Pink Dragon who guards Princess Fiona is the ultimate special effect in this musical. It's creature design is epic and is operated by several puppeteers dressed in black. The Dragon appears both menacing and flirtatious, while dancing up a storm!




I can easily recommend this show to anyone. It is indeed a show that would appeal to any age. If you have a sense of humor you will be good to go with this one.

The show runs 2 hours and 30 minutes which includes a 15 minute intermission. Keep this in mind if your bringing young ones. My niece loved the show, but could not sit still for the whole thing. I was hoping Addison would give a review after the show, but she was short with words. She did state that she found Princess Fiona to be "very pretty".


The show runs from February 28, 2012 to March 11, 2012
Show times are:
Tuesday - Saturday at 7:30pm
Sunday Evenings at 6:30pm
Saturday Matinee at 2:00pm
Sunday Matinee at 1:00pm
Special signed performance on Sunday, March 4, 2012 at 6:30pm.

Children 5 and under not admitted to this event.

at
Fisher Theatre
3011 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit
Tickets $29-$79
Call (800) 982-2787

For more info visit: http://www.broadwayindetroit.com