Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



4/8/09

Wild At Heart - Wednesday April 8 2009

Hey Kirk-thanks for coming on the show last weekend
it was great -- here is this week's blog post - Bill

Wild
Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart

What a day starting with that traffic accident on I-75 South which turned my 40 minute commute to work into an hour and 15 minutes despite the fact that the roads didn’t seem too bad. My voice is also sore from taking so much yesterday and today at work didn’t help either. I almost don’t want to go to the Fucked Up (yes that is the name of the band) concert at the Magic Stick tonight but at least they have TV’s to watch the game. My money is on N Carolina but I hope Michigan St can pull off the upset.

Speaking of the NCAA, it was a good weekend though I thought there would be more people downtown, or maybe I just was in the wrong places. The highlights of the NCAA related events were:
8) Ultra Violet Hippopotamus – local jam band I had the pleasure of watching this weekend on the AT&T stage got me thinking of Rothbury and besides, it is just a cool name.
7) Janelle MonĂ¡e – she was on the main stage doing her best Grace Jones impression. I thought I was back in the 70’s.
6) I hate GNR but I like Slash who showed up on stage to accompany Fergie on cover versions of “Sweet Child O Mine” and Heart’s “Barracuda”.
5) The great OAR show at the Fillmore. Despite always picking on the River Crew since we work a lot of the same shows, the River is doing some nice work in this area.
4) Being recognized at the NCAA fun fest activities by someone who remembered me from my appearance on America’s Funniest Home Videos. I’m the guy in the turkey coop that airs 2 weeks before Thanksgiving every year. I was at the shoot out at the time and while I didn’t make it al the way around thanks to missing the 3 pt shot too many times, I got style points for making a nice hook shot from the foul line after time ran out.
3) Making fun of Ryan Seacrest. To all videographers: Don’t take a clear shot of the host obviously reading a teleprompter because like in this case it makes him look stupid.
2) I hate Coke Zero but thanks for the souvenir Final Four pin.
1) With all the colors of the teams in the Final Four it was great seeing four fans dressed up in lavish make-up representing four teams including some that weren’t in the tournament. I don’t remember one, but the other three were Illinois, Oklahoma St and California. You guys rocked whoever you are!!!

Despite the honor of the Final Four in Detroit, some people are looking forward to Tigers opening day on April 10th. If you want to do something to celebrate baseball season and also do some good for the community, you can go to the Majestic Complex for a Ball Park Breakfast to benefit the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign which also offers free parking and shuttle service. It starts at 9AM and $25 for adults ($15 for kids) gets you a big breakfast including scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, etc. Strong Kids is focused on raising much needed financial support for deserving children, teens and families who are unable to afford the full cost of participation in a YMCA program or activity such helping a child attend day camp for the first time or enabling a struggling family to use a child care facility. It is definitely a worthy cause. Tickets are available by calling the Majestic Theatre Center Monday thru Friday between 10am and 4pm at 313-833-9700 ext. 202.

Have you been waiting for the new Wolverine: Origins film? If so, go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-drLdnk-g24 and you can have the chance to vote for a premiere of the movie in your hometown which will feature Hugh Jackman in person along with some other mutants from the film.

Speaking of films, I went to the Crofoot event where people interested in the film industry could network with other people. It was a nicely attended event of which I was there for MOTORCITYBLOG and also representing WXOU 88.3FM. I mostly talked to people and it was nice to get a feel for how vibrant the industry can be here when these film companies actually get down to working. I ran into local rocker Stewart Francke and will be working to get him on my show. For those interested, make sure to tune in this Saturday the 11th between 8-10AM for a big show. If you are out of range of the station, go online to www.wxou.org because I have interviews with the all female rock trio Von Iva who brings a nice garage rock feel to their music, 2-time Academy Award winning composer Gustavo Santaolalla (scored Babel, Brokeback Mountain, 21 Grams, Motorcycle Diaries, etc) who was in town with his new band Bajofondo and Stomp’s own Brad Holland (Stomp will be in Detroit Apr 21-26th) and I am a huge fan of the group.

I must also admit that the best thing I did this weekend with all the basketball and concerts was to have a nice sit down dinner at a Pontiac diner with my friends Amy and Rebecca.

Too often I go out with friends who want to rush and just avoid chilling. My one word of advice to everyone is find the time to unhook yourselves from your damn electronics and cell phones and just enjoy those special moments with your friends when you can. Don’t be rushing and driving yourself to an early grave. I used my friend’s cell phone for some calls to try and interview the artist Bayje and I could feel the pressure which just reminded me why I don’t want a cell phone. I don’t need that in my life. Thanks Amy and Rebecca for that special moment which is better than 100 concerts (unless it’s Cyndi Lauper).

Speaking of fun life moments, I’m hoping this comes out but it is a blurry picture and me and my friend Aric when we were in school at Hartwick. An epic pillow fight right up there with the scenes from Braveheart and LOTR. He is also a friend I have lost touch with but the memories are still there. Thanks Carleen for the pic.

I also have a review for a new film which seems awfully familiar. The movie is “Fast And Furious” which is an interquel between the 2nd and 3rd films and stars most of the main cast from the first film. Confused yet! Don’t worry, just sit back and turn off the brain as Brian O'Connor (Paul Walker)—now an FBI agent, is assigned to track down a notorious drug lord named Arturo Braga. In the meantime, Dom (Vin Diesel) has become an international criminal and learns that his girlfriend has been killed and he means to get revenge. Their paths meet as their leads bring them to the attention of an underground entrance race that guarantees them a spot on the team that traffics heroin across the United States-Mexico border. The two form an uneasy alliance as they join forces to stop the bad guys and heal old wounds. There are some nice racing moments and if you are fans of the series, this should give you a nice fix. Grade: B-.

For those interested in the weekly concert guide, let’s start with blues guitarist Coco Montoya who used to be a former member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and will be taking the stage at Callahan’s on Tues, Apr 7th. Not to be confused with the book, but Christian hardcore band The Devil Wears Prada with be at Clutch Cargos on Thurs, Apr 9th. The Toronto based rockers, The Cliks (they have been on my show before and have opened locally for Cyndi Lauper and the Cult), who will be at the Magic Stick on Apr 10th or you can go to the Pike Room to see Craig Owens (of Chiodos fame), American blues-harp player Charlie Musselwhite at Callahan’s (he is rumored to be the inspiration for the Blues Brothers) or local rockers the Hard Lessons at the Blind Pig. Craig will also perform at the Pike Room on the Apr 11th. Don’t forget, basketball fans can also go see the Harlem Globetrotters on Sun, Apr 12th.

Almost forgot, check out the Mitten Movie Project Tuesday, March 10th at the Main Art Theater in Royal Oak. This month’s installment features short films from 14 independent filmmakers from the state of Michigan including “High-Step: A Story Of The MSU Marching Band” where you can experience game day through the eyes of four members of the Michigan State Marching Band (might be what you need if MSU is victorious this week) and “Can Man” which gives us insight into the life of Willy, an East Lansing Michigan homeless man, whose primary income comes from collecting cans (reminds me of college). Hope to see you there!

I hope I am not leaving anything out and I hope everyone has a great day and think warm thoughts to get rid of this snow. Here is some useless trivia: The names of the three monkeys are Mizaru (see no evil), Kikazaru (hear no evil), and Iwazaru (speak no evil) and are not to be confused with the band featuring Peter Tork.

"WILD AT HEART IS DETROIT"
Check out more MCB-VIDEOs here