Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



3/3/14





Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog






Wild At Heart


Well the Oscars are done with and so few real surprises except the fact that I have seen 21 of the 24 winners. I just need to catch "Frozen" and "The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life" to have seen every one. The awards went pretty much as expected. I mainly was following online as I watched "Fruitville Station", a very good film (that won an award at the Independent Movie Award for best first film) though I did catch McConaughey and Blanchett's speeches. I think I was more amazed the neither got rushed by the damn band as they have it the past. I was really glad the "Her" got the original screenplay and "Helium" got best live action short film. These were two of my favorite films of last year. I would have liked to see William Butler and Owen Pallett get the Oscar for original score. It was an amazing and innovation score so I am actually impressed it even got nominated. I am also a big fan of "Broken Circle Breakdown" and enjoyed it a bit more than the sometimes scattered, but beautifully shot, "The Great Beauty". The film looks at the downward spiral of a couple when their child is dying of cancer and really is an emotional piece.

I was really impressed by the quality of the films nominated this year over all categories. The only best picture nominee I wasn't really fond of was "The Wolf Of Wall Street" which never really captured me. It had it's moments and Leo was fun to watch but the movie was too long and I just got tired of all that bad behavior seems been there/done that after films like "Boiler Room" (remember that one when Vin Diesel looked like he could do no wrong) and Leo's own "The Great Gatsby". I hope next year is as exciting and wonderful for movies.

For those tired of the Oscar buzz, there are some good concerts this week for you to take in:

Tuesday (3/04) - Richard Thompson @ the Ark, Polka Floyd @ Smalls

Thursday (3/06) - Buckwheat Zydeco @ Magic Bag, Flogging Molly @ The Fillmore, Mayer Hawthorne @ Winter Garden Theatre, Bayside @ Crofoot

Friday (3/07) - Blood Sweat and Tears @ Ceasars Windsor, Sisters Of Your Sunshine Vapor and Rouge Satellites @ New Dodge Lounge, Duende! @ PLAV Post #10

Saturday (3/08) - Young The Giant @ The Fillmore, La Lac Belle @ Lo And Behold, Amino Acids and Oscillating Fanclub @ Smalls, Citizen Smile @ Painted Lady Lounge, Jesus Chainsaw Massacre @ Baker Streetcar Bar, Frustrations @ PLAV Post #10

Monday (3/10) - Pat Metheny Unity Group @ the Fillmore

March 7th and 8th have a lot of bands playing multiple venues in Hamtramck for First Annual Hamtramck Music Festival. I just highlighted some of my favorite local bands in my recommended concert section but the best things about these events is finding new bands in the area. Detroit is blessed with some great and talented bands and this is another chance to get out and find a few.