Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



12/1/09

Downunder Detroit - TALL KIWI CHICK on assignment

TALL KIWI CHICK was a winner in one of our contests for free tickets
and of course we chatted it up a bit and met up with her and her crew at the show.
After knocking back a few cold ones we were fast friends and thick as thieves.
Anyway - we thought it would nice to get some insight about good ol dietroit
from someone with a bit different perspective so we created

"Downunder Detroit"

is the new column written by our TKC
who is visiting Detroit for a while
from her homeland of New Zealand.

She loves music, men & drinking

"She's Sweet As!"

DOWNUNDER DETROIT
BY Tall Kiwi Chick
photos/sidekick coolness by Lauretta West



Brett Does Detroit
So i had my first Phone Interview last week, with Singer Songwriter Brett Dennen.
It could've gone better.. but that was me, not him.
I got nervous.

Mainly because i love him so much and hope one day we'll get married..

This may not happen now, since i came across as a clumsy uncoordinated loser.

Oh well, i still talked to him, and i'm happy!!

I came across his music, a few years ago, when 'Aint No Reason' was the Itunes free single of the week. I immediately started listening to the rest of his album 'So much more' and i've been a fan ever since. If you haven't heard his music before, you should check out 'The one who loves you the most'.

It's my favorite!

PHONE INTERVIEW
What's going on?
I've just arrived at the venue for our Boston show, it's foggy outside!

When did you start playing guitar?
I started learning when i was 13 at Summer Camp, i started learning the likes of Neil Young & John Denver

What would you be doing if you weren't a musician?
I'd be working as a teacher, or something more community based with kids, music, art and preferably outside!

I see you are helping promote some community non profit organizations on your website www.lovespeaks.org ?
I'm just using my influence to inspire people to be more aware of what is going on in their communities .

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?
I would increase our compassion & love towards each other, which would be a stepping stone to solving some of the bigger issues going on.

Will you marry me?
Yes. I do!!

Ok, so maybe that last question didn't happen... outside my dreams....

Brett's show last Tuesday @ Saint Andrews was everything i wanted it to be and more!! From the moment Brett came on stage i was smiling! His uniquely different, amazingly beautiful voice sang every song i wanted to hear!! (except my favorite - but it was on the setlist - WTF?!) He danced and thrust his hips (Woohooo!!) with confidence and owned the stage. 'Wrong about me' & 'San Francisco' were my favorites from his latest album 'Hope for the Hopeless'. Brett's song lyrics are beautifully honest, with a message of Love & Peace. I left the show still smiling, wishing i had the time/money to follow brett around on tour, like a drug, i wanted more!

I hope Brett comes back this way soon, so i can get another fix...

So Thanksgiving week continued to be fun, went to my local pub on Thanksgiving Eve, the biggest bar night of the year.. which was good. We had been warned prior about what to expect..We showed up extra early, to avoid any line-ups, what they didn't mention is that most of the people at the bar would be around the 21 year old age,

and all the girls would be wearing tight little outfits.

That's Awesome..

My highlight was standing at the back door chatting to my bouncer/friend and watching the people try to skip the line out front, by coming in the back door. I felt great pleasure every time he told hot chicks to go around to the other door!!

My low-light was every time i went to the bathroom, i found groups of girls talking in that 'Valley-Girl-Irritating-as-Nails-on-a-Chalkboard' accent... I was so tempted to ask if they were from CA or MI.. Because unless you've spent time hanging out 24/7 with Paris Hilton, there is no excuse to talk like her when you're from MICHIGAN!

Thanksgiving Day was pretty low-key.

Us kiwi orphans had a Beef Roast dinner, which i managed to screw up.

Yes. I blame the meat entirely, it had nothing to do with me..

But everything else turned out well, and we had cake which was good! Someone asked why we didn't cook a Turkey? Turkey is ok as a sandwich filling, but not as the center of a dinner meal... The idea of roast Turkey is a little odd to us, maybe because we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in NZ? Although, in the grand scheme of things, i guess it tastes like Chicken anyway, which is good, so i probably should've just done a Turkey.. Maybe for Christmas?

Electric Six was on Friday night, back at Saint Andrews. I didn't realize they are from Detroit, So i was stoked to get to see them live in their hometown!!

They rocked it on stage!!

They played lots of songs from their latest Album 'KILL'..

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!!
For a FREE COPY OF KILL - BY 'ELECTRIC SIX

BE THE 6th EMAILER TO MOTORCITYBLOG@EARTHLINK.NET

- ALSO BE THE 10th EMAILER

FOR A FREE 7" VINYL FROM

'THE MILLIONS OF BRAZILIANS' MOTORCITYBLOG@EARTHLINK.NET

Good Luck Guys!!!

NEXT UP FOR TKC

"the unknown show"