Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



8/8/12

Review: tUnE-yArDs and Jamaican Queens at Crofoot


tUnE-yArDs and Jamaican Queens
Thursday, August 2nd  
Crofoot, Pontiac




Jamaican Queens

His take:


We have been on the shelf for a few weeks, but are back and trying to see as many bands as possible before being forced to experience our first Detroit winter.  This was the perfect show to reintroduce us to society.

First up, our old friends Jamaican Queens.  This was our third time seeing them play and the Crofoot is by far the largest venue.  They managed another solid performance.  We could hear them playing while standing in line to enter.  By the time we actually made it in, we got to see about a song and a half.  Thirty minutes in line! Apparently nobody purchased their tickets ahead of time.

Support this local band.  They are good.





tUnE-yArDs



Her take:

I’m in love with Merrill Garbus. I began listening to tUnE-yArDs last year and was immediately hooked by the heavy beats, the catchy hooks, the asymmetrical loops, and…that voice, oh lawdy that voice. Garbus’s avant garde stylization coalesces into a powerful sound that is enhanced by drums, a ukulele, and some smooth brass. She’s one of those performers who sounds as good, or better, live than she does recorded. tUnE-yArDs’s music is already full of energy, but seeing it live truly transports the listener.  There are no fancy theatrics or lighting, just pure uninhibited talent that radiates an incredible energy and response from the audience.  I enjoyed this show more than anything I’ve seen recently, and I cannot begin to describe how much I want everyone in Detroit to have the experience of seeing this incredibly talented band. 





His take:

I was excited to see tUnE-yArDs.  I've been listening to Merrill Garbus's project, I guess you can call it that, for a couple of years, but haven't had the opportunity to see them live.  They didn't disappoint.  Most songs start with Merrill preparing layers of loops using her voice, percussion instruments, and a ukulele, then performing as they cycle in the background.

The Crofoot was not quite as crowded as last time I was here, and the balcony area was closed. However, the floor was packed and people were loving it.  I have seen a lot of shows, and a lot of the same show over and over.  What she is doing is different, and deserves attention.  She had great things to say about the people and the music scene here, so I expect her back before too long.  When she does return, make the effort and get out and see a refreshingly unique performance.

You can thank me for the blurry pictures with the awesome filters, Summer was too busy dancing to be bothered to photograph anything.  I call my method, "hold the camera over my head, push the button, hope for the best."




Lewis and Snark!
Jeremy and Summer are the latest (and they say greatest) contributors to MCB
"Lewis & Snark" will be reviewing music, art and other motorcity aspects etc... 

"We moved here a couple of weeks ago from Portland, Oregon, so we are still familiarizing ourselves with all the venues and local bands. Summer and I will both be giving our takes for each event we attend, and we pretty much attend everything together because she doesn't want me to sully her good name with my behavior if allowed to venture out alone. Mine will likely contain wilder (sometimes true) anecdotes and less detail, as she is usually the designated driver."





Michigan's newest music festival !!