Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



4/4/12

Wild At Heart - Huntress Interview

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog












Wild At Heart



The metal band Huntress is going to be coming through Detroit tonight at Blondies. The international metal bill for Paganfest also features the headlining Finnish band Turisas, Scotland's Alestorm and Russia's Arkona. I had the honor of interviewing their beautiful lead singer Jill Janus and the band. Enjoy:


1) From your bio, I see lead singer Jill Janus was born and raised in the Catskill Mountains. This area has some beautiful and rough looking landscapes and while this area is home to many Jewish comedians and Woodstock, it is also the setting for a couple of HP Lovecraft stories as well as the birthplace of Rip Van Winkle. What influence does growing up in this part of the country have on your music and your musical career?


My childhood was magical, I grew up on a white tail deer farm. My family is eccentric and always encouraged my Pagan ways. Being near the Borscht Belt and performing in old vaudeville theatre has given me a deep love of the stage. The name Huntress is a tribute to Artemis, or Diana, the Goddess of the Hunt. My love of nature is a huge aspect to our imagery.



2) I have been getting big into Opera over the last 8 years (just recently saw "The Medium" and "the Bartered Bride") so I was intrigued by your erly career as an opera singer. What were some of your early highlights and how did your early opera career prepare you for the darker edge of your musical journey?


So glad you mentioned Menotti's "The Medium", it's one of my favorite operas, so dark, I played the role of Monica in my teens. Opera can be quite grim, but I always desired more darkness. The first time I saw King Diamond, it all made sense. I was born to sing metal.



3) Do you think there is a chance that you could ever do something in the opera field again or maybe do a real rock opera?


Perhaps. Right now I must choose only one purpose, and that is Huntress. I have been writing a rock opera with Angus Clark, lead guitarist for the Trans Siberian Orchestra called "Victory: The Rock Opera. We have several songs completed. I'd love to see it on stage one day.


4) At what point in your career did you embrace the idea of doing heavy metal and what bands did you look at for inspiration to pursue this dream?


As I mentioned, King Diamond was a huge push for me, but I've been listening to metal most of my life. Suicidal Tendencies was my first love, trash and skating was ultimate in high school.



5) I see you met your current band in California. How did you guys get together?


I became friends with an underground metal band called Professor, I played them demos, we decided to join forces. The timing was right.



6) Coming in May, you have your debut album coming out, "Spell Eater". What exactly can metal fans expect from this album?


Spell Eater stays true to the roots of heavy metal. That is vital to Huntress. We want to be authentic, I think our sound is modern and unique, without being a throw back band. It's heavy metal, no girly crap.



7) Loved the video for "Eight Of Swords". The tarot card is based on a situation which is basically damned if you do, damned if you don't. Is there a particular story behind this song or is it mainly a love for the meaning of the card itself?


Well, that's not exactly the situation. The Eight of Swords card represents self imprisonment, with freedom attainable only if you choose to release yourself. Fear binds you. You create your own fate. It's truly based on the meaning of the card. And I asked the Tarot to reveal one card that would be an epic metal song and bring us success. Eight of Swords chose Huntress.


8) I also found the Vance Kelly cover art amazing. I see that you worked with the artist to get the cover you wanted. How important to you was that?


There wouldn't be any other way, we don't compromise on our vision, so all aspects of Spell Eater had to be definitive. Vance Kelly is our art warlock! So talented and efficient, he also creates t-shirt designs and stage scrims for us.



9) How did your guys end up on Paganfest and what have the first few days of the tour been like?


It has been a whirlwind! We were signed to Napalm Records after we released "Eight of Swords". We were added to the bill and are so honored to be part of this journey. We hit the road with Dragonforce next, then Europe for Metalfest Open Airs with Megadeth and Kreator!


10) After the current album and tour, what path would you like to see Huntress travel down?


Longevity. We want Huntress for life.


11) When not playing or writing music, what do you do to unwind?


That's laughable, we don't have free time. If we did, it would involve gardening or being outdoors. We're all obsessed with nature.


12) Your bio mentions 2 dogs and 2 fish. Tell us about your pets and are you a big animal lover? The one dog Party Time almost speaks for itself but I was curious if Attila was named for the Hun himself or if the Verdi opera (based on Attila the Hun) had something to do with his name.


Indeed! We love animals! Attila the Hun, and he's such a goon! Having bulldog is really fun, they are special beasts, needing specific care. We have the little chihuahua on tour with us, he's sitting beside me in the van as I type this.


13) Do you have any words for the Detroit fans coming to your show?


I can't wait to head bang with you tonight! Hail Metal!



I was kind of disappointed I could not find any video of Jill singing opera on youtube so if anyone has any, please send it to me. I know we ran this video during the contest but here it is again, the rocking video for "Eight Of Swords".