Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



6/16/12

Wild Bill at Burlington Sound Of Music Festival








Wild
Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog














Wild At Heart



I am currently hating my choice of hotel for my trip. While having a comfortable bed and nice pool, the internet service for this “business” hotel (the Sheraton Four Points by Toronto Airport) has crappy internet service. I wrote this blog twice last night and lost it both times. Totally sucks (putting it nicely)!




I had a great day yesterday up until then. Went to an AARP picnic with my parents and helped out there before hitting the road. Wish I could have seen the tight rope walker over the Falls but the beautiful waterfront of Burlington was calling my name.

Burlington, Ontario beach view

Got in around 4PM and upon recommendation of the wonderful festival staff had dinner at the Queen Head’s Pub. Had fish and chips (what else for a pub) and enjoyed the atmosphere including game room and rowdy fans watching soccer. Go England!


Queen's Head pub in Burlington
dinner @ Queens Head
I love and hate festivals. I enjoy festivals that have lots of great bands but hate that in order to see all of them you need to cut some artists sets short. Only saw 2 songs by the great Big Sugar and bluesman Matt Andersen who rocked for the little bit I caught. I managed to get in 10 bands in 4 hours and here are a few of my favorites including street band Union Duke rockers up some nice hits and folksy tunes.


Union Duke
First was a local St Catherines band called the Bends. They are all seniors in high school and have been playing together since 9th grade. Think the Detroit version of the Singles. They have a great sound and I hope they manage to stay together after graduating.

The Bends
Second is the soulful Southern rockers from Austin, TX with Bright Light Social Hour who just killed it. I have an interview with the band that I will get up as soon as I can.

Bright Light Social Hour

Third was the beautiful voice of Basia Bulat who just oozed charm through her set. I hope you guys caught her last week in Detroit. I did tell you to go so you can just blame yourselves if you didn’t.


Basia Bulat
The big rumor today is that Justin Bieber is going to show up for Carly Rae Jepsen. Now he is in Toronto Sunday so it is very unlikely he’ll come in a day early but last years surprise visit by Sarah McLaughlin has people keeping there hopes up. If you want to take the chance you might make if you drive fast. No promises on that though.



I will promise you more good music with country singer Sarah Slean, the enigmatic Wintersleep and Spanish guitarist Johannes Linstead on Saturday and Treble Chargers first show in 10 years, the rockers Mother Mother and the quirkly Walk Off The Earth.



I hope to get some of this posted before I go to see Radiohead but the pool beckons first. I just wish I didn’t spend the wasted hour and ½ last night trying to post and slept instead. Look in the following week or so for pictures and reviews of the bands of the Sounds Of Music Festival, the largest free music festival in Canada.