Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



6/21/10

Wild At Heart

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart




I am currently sitting at Greektown smelling of Mango (my Venom energy drink I got yesterday before the Jeff Beck show decided to explode when I opened it) as it seems I am getting nothing done that I need to. I arrived on time for an interview with Jackson Rathbone and Nicola Peltz who are in town to promote the new movie "The Last Airbender" to have the time moved back 2 hours so my whole day is rearranged. My recorded also decided to malfunction missing half the interview. May be time to get a new one but I am always loyal to my equipment even when it fails me. What I have of the interview will air the Saturday after it opens July 1st weekend. More on that next blog though I will say his band "100 Monkeys" is looking to have a new album out soon and will be in town on August 28th for some benefit shows. For more info, go to www.100monkeysmusic.com. I will also make them my band of the week.

I saw them last year at the Shelter with about 150 people and they have the makings of a very good "indie" band though I am still wondering about the significance of the guy in the banana costume. Jackson performs in the band with two friends whom he met in high school at Interlochen Arts Academy, Ben Graupner and Ben Johnson as well as close friends Jerad Anderson and M Laurence Abrams aka Uncle Larry. The band released three albums in 2009 and have a live album in the works soon. This is a band you need to look for since Jackson doesn't want to promote the film using his fame as an actor in the Twilight series. Promoters were told exclusively that no mention of Twilight could be used in their press materials so kudos to Jackson for not wanting to take advantage and letting the band succeed or fail by it's own merits. So if you want to see the band live, keep an eye out.





Speaking of Jeff Beck earlier, this seems to be a guitar blues/rock week as I have had the pleasure of seeing three great shows at Callahans this past week including Coco Montoya, John Lee Hooker Jr and Ana Popovic, as well as Jeff Beck rocking the Fillmore and Orianthi opening for Adam Lambert (yes, the flaming American Idol guy) at Royal Oak Music Theatre. Next weekend I am missing my radio show because I'll be on my way to Chicago to see Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival with will have a ton of guitar greats ranging from bluesmen Buddy Guy and Johnny Winter to Jeff beck and Albert Lee (who will also play Callahans on the following Sunday). Should be a great show.

Going to move onto a movie that opened this weekend starring Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise called "Knight And Day". This light action films sees June Havens (Diaz) getting ready to fly to her sister's wedding when a brief run in with secret agent (Cruise) who has realized he isn't supposed to survive his latest mission of protecting a new type of battery which will change the world. As their campaign to stay alive stretches across the globe Diaz has to decide if she can trust this agent as life becomes more hazardous to her life. There is also an element of a relationship as Cruise's character finds he is starting to fall for June who seems a natural at this lifestyle (good with handling a speeding car and using a gun when needed). The film tries to find the perfect combination of action, humor, story and romance and almost succeeds. The movie could have taken a few pointers from "Date Night" which seemed to do a better job mixing all those elements. Overall, the general movie audience should enjoy the film based on Cruise's very easy going portrayal of this character and Diaz's bubbly performance. The strict movie goers might wish for a little more substance and more realism in some of the fight or flight scenes which sometimes were disappointing to me (how does Tom stay anchored on the top of the weaving car without falling off). So most people will enjoy this light action comedy but I can only give it a C for my enjoyment level.




There are a few big shows this weekend though Saturday is atypically low while Sunday shines. Here are my picks:


Wednesday 6/23 - Dave Matthews Band w/the vibrant Martin Sexton @ Pine Knob, blues rocker Sonny Landreth @ Callahans, singer/songwriter Rodriguez @ Majestic Cafe

Thursday 6/24 - Lynyrd Skynyrd w/ a healthier Bret Michaels and .38 Special @ Pine Knob, The Melvins @ Smalls and Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby @ Majectic Cafe, Steel Train @ Eagle Theatre

Friday 6/25 - punk rocker DOA @ Smalls, Tokyo Police Club opens for Passion Pit @ Royal Oak Music Theatre

Saturday 6/26 - Crossroads Festival @ Toyota Park in Chicago, local favorites Cold Wave w/Javelins and Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr @ Majestic Cafe, Ducth Pink record release party w/Juliets @ Magic Bag, Leon Russell @ Smackwater Block at Lexington Music Theatre Company (Lexington)

Sunday 6/27 - guitarist Albert Lee @ Callahans, classic violinist André Rieu @ Fox Theatre, Bettye LaVette @ the Ark, Foreigner w/Styx and Kansas @ Pine Knob, Mirah @ Magic Stick, 80's pop band Wang Chung having fun @ Magic Bag

Getting ready to head down to the fireworks so have a great week and talk again after Crossroads.