Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



5/25/10

THIS FALL ON TEEVEE: Detroit 1-8-7

As much as we enjoy the additional buzz Our Fair City has been getting in the past year or so, sometimes all I can think to say is "oh shut up."

I appreciate that ABC has decided to acknowledge that Detroit exists. I can even live with the fact that this fall's "Detroit 1-8-7" is yet another "gritty cop drama" because, after all, what else IS there on TV? with poor writing and direction.

But I'm not sure I'll forgive them for this:



"Detroit, Michigan. Home of the auto industry, Motown Records, and the highest murder rate in the country."

That's just inaccurate. At best, lazy; at worst, inflammatory.

I wanted to mention the show anyway, initially because it's interesting to see programs like this, sometimes just to watch the backgrounds and hunt for familiar landmarks (see also the much less insulting -- and much sexier -- "Detroit SWAT"). But the show isn't even filming here. According to imdb.com, "Detroit 1-8-7" is shot in Atlanta. Yeah, the one in Georgia.

Which, by the way, is also in the top 15 highest murder rates in the US (according to 2008 FBI figures).

And while Detroit's numbers are actually closer to Atlanta's than to top-ranking New Orleans', I guess we get extra trendy points.

Yay us.