Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



2/26/13



Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog






Wild At Heart


As much as I love movies, I still cannot get myself to watch the actual awards ceremony. Even Seth couldn’t push me over the edge. However, I am still very interested in the outcomes. t I though they did a good job, though I though either “Wreck-It Ralph” or “Frankenweenie” should have taken best animated film. “Brave” is beautifully animated but the storyline falters at times when the other 2 remain strong all the way through. The other category I thought didn’t go to the correct film was the live short category for “Curfew”. As much as I love the scene with the dancing at the bowling alley, the other 4 films were much stronger films in my opinion.

I was happy that Detroit was represented (esp after being named most depressed city along with Flint and Warren) by the documentary “Searching For Sugarman” which highlights the tremendous musical talent of Rodriquez. His working class folk music is right up there with Ochs or Dylan and better in some cases. I love his story and am glad to see his albums in the Billboard charts despite being many years too late. I saw Rodriquez at Rock-A-Billy’s a number of years ago and was impressed by his songwriting and his humble nature. It is cool talking about the film and being able to say I saw him and see fellow music fans eyes light up with envy. I’m hoping some venue here in Rochester will invite him out to play here. I’m also glad the Ann Arbor Folk Festival had him on the line-up this year. I hope he has success and he really represents what makes Detroit’s music scene the best in the world.

Anyway, here are a few concerts you can unwind with this week:

Wednesday (2/27) – Buddy Guy and Jonny Lang @ Fox Theatre

Thursday (2/28) – Howling Diablos w/Amy Gore and Her Valentines @ Magic Bag

Friday (3/01) – Blueflowers w/Doop and the Inside Outlaws @ Magic Stick Lounge, Imagine Dragins w/Nico Vega @ Fillmore, Commander Cody Band @ Callahans, Eileen Jewell @ the Ark, Peace by Piece Fundraiser feat Emily Rose @ majestic Theatre, Drifters and the Platters @ Macomb Center for the Performing Arts

Saturday (3/02) – Ben Harper w/Charlie Musselwhite @ Royal Oak Music Theatre, Bob Mould @ Magic Stick