Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



9/24/13

Peter Hook & the Light at the Henry Fonda Theater - Sept 21st, 2013

Having never seen New Order OR Joy Division before, or even a single Peter Hook & The Light show for that matter, I had no idea what to expect, except awesomeness as I’ve been reading up on how they play New Order’s first two albums in their entirety, along with Joy Division tunes. I can also say I definitely didn’t expect “Slaves of Venus” to open with a Joy Division song, let alone Peter Hook himself to be on stage singing it! Wait?! What?! What’s going on?! I was so glad I didn’t take one look at the opening band’s name on the roster, say to myself, “Who?” and then proceed to leave and not come back until Peter Hook & The Light go on. Once I realized what was what, I knew we were in for a real treat. The entire house was filled with friendly people, all there for the same good time, all seeking the same once-in-a-lifetime musical experience. There was a real welcome and genuine feeling of unity, something you unfortunately don’t feel at shows very often anymore.

As Peter Hook tore through their first set of songs (all Joy Division) with son, Jack Bates on bass, the crowd danced and and jumped with such joy as if each song was their last on Earth. There wasn’t one person in attendance who didn’t appreciate how special this was. After “Slaves of Venus” was done with their set, Peter Hook & the Light came out and began their sturdy set of all New Order songs, including their first two albums Movement (1981), and Power, Corruption & Lies (1983). It was completely surreal to be standing there, hearing this music in real life, watching Hook throw his back and howl. -Oh, that infamous howl. Instant chills. If you’re like me, you grew up listening to this on a cassette. -Or on vinyl if you’re really cool. As the set grew nearer and nearer to the end, I could tell Blue Monday was going to be last, and rightfully so. What an experience.