Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



5/4/12

Remembering Adam Yauch, MCA of the Beastie Boys


I have put everything else aside for the moment to be sad. I just heard Adam Yauch, better known as MCA of the Beastie Boys died today of cancer. Adam’s death for some reason touches me almost as much as the death of a good friend. Maybe because in a lot of ways that’s what he as part of the Beastie Boys were to me. Good friends I had grown up with and shared some of my most memorable experiences with them playing ecstatically in the background. 
The Beastie Boys with License to Ill, really were my (and those around me in the 80’s) teenage party band. I recall more than a few parties where the only music played was License to Ill, Side A to Side B then back to Side A again. I’ll still sing along with “Brass Monkey” like that sickly tasting, cheap concoction is the best drink money can buy and I’m not even sure I have ever even drank it. I saw them play on the Check Your Head tour where the crowd was dancing and moshing so intensely, after the show there was mountain of discarded shoes we had to sift through to find our own. These days I buy 1 to 2 CDs a year as I get most my music sent to me through bands or I download it, but Hot Sauce Committee P. II was a CD I bought and immediately slammed it into my car CD player to listen to loudly with windows down.
Adam Yauch was my favorite Beastie Boy. To start he had a gruff voice that separated him from King Ad Rock and Mike D. In the early days, there was also a real menace to MCA in that he could be the Beastie Boy that might really be a beast. He had a persistent 5’O Clock shadow, wore the leather jacket and his raps were tough. He might really had been the one to carry a gun and really used a whiffle ball bat. Of course that was all really a laugh and the MCA we got to know later was the introspective one of the band. He was a practicing Buddhist, became deeply involved in free-Tibet movement and would talk karma about how even killing an insect was beyond him.
I’ll miss Adam Yauch because in a strange way I know it signals another blast that my youth is fading whether I want it to or not. For tonight though, I’m going to have a drink in Adam’s honor, it won’t be Brass Monkey, but I’m going to shout and dance along with it like it is. RIP Adam Yauch.

On an end note Paul’s Boutique will always be one of top 5 albums. If you have never listened to it, that funky rhythm buried somewhere in your body has been suffering some without it.

This Post by Mikel O.D. of